Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2002 15:42:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Engelhart <johne@zang.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serious File System problems (4.6-Release)

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 02:32:25PM -0700, John Engelhart wrote:
> >
> > Thoughts?  Is it memory?  Is it CPU?  One of the CPU's is brand new.  One
> > of the CPU's is left over from one of the original systems.  I've just
> > purchased another CPU to rule that out.  I've also picked up a stick of
> > 128 megs of ram, one with and one without ECC, to see if that's causing
> > the problem.  Or am I on to some insidous SMP bug?
> >

> Guessing (obviously): power supply?

Good suggestion.  I've been through four, however.  All with the same
problem.  The original 2460 was kinda particular about it's power
supplies, the 2466 seems less so as it's got the P4 extra power supply
connector to help with the dual proc power needs.  No special voltage
requirements are specificed for the 2466.

I'm wondering if it's not the CPU.  If it were the RAM, I'd figure that
ECC would trip up before it allowed for that kind of corruption.  *sigh*.