Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 2002 19:21:09 -0700
From:      Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>
To:        Bob Johnson <bob89@bobj.org>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATI 3D Rage Mobility-M1 on a Sony FXA59

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 10:08:14PM -0400, Bob Johnson wrote:
> On Friday 06 September 2002 07:18 pm, Bill Swingle appears to have=20
> written:
> > I recently got a new laptop, issued from my employer. It's a Sony
> > PCG-FXA59. Quite a nice and fast laptop, except for the problems I've
> > had with X over the past two days.
> >
> > Basicly, I can't get any usable X session to start up. The best I can
> > manage when running 'X' is a screen with a tiny white window in the
> > upper left hand corner and a background that looks like it's trying
> > to be the standard graphic-less X background, only instead of tiny
> > black/white checked squares, they're thin vertical rectangles. (if
> > that makes any sense)
> >
> > I've searched google and both the freebsd and xfree86 mail archives
> > for info on this particular model without any luck. There is a
> > scattering of info on other laptops with ATI Mobility chips and 15"
> > SXGA screens rated at 1400x1050 and I've tried out their Modeline,
> > HorizSync and VertRefresh settings with very little change.
> >
>=20
> Possibilities:
>=20
> 1) Go to http://www.afn.org/~afn01750/inspiron.html and try the=20
> XF86Config linked there, or at least the modelines. =20

I actually found this page earlier in the day and tried both config's
there. No go :(

> 2) Upgrade to XF86 4, which doesn't need modelines for standard=20
> scan rates and is working fine with my Inspiron at 1400 x 1050 (and=20
> all the others).  The XF86Config that I use now is also linked on the=20
> page above.

I'm already running XF86 4.2.0 and it's pretty much the same deal with
or without modelines.

> 3) In difficult cases, I've found that it is a good idea to first try to=
=20
> get X working at 640x480, 256 colors.  Once that is working, then=20
> manually edit XF86Config to add higher resolutions and depths.  I=20
> strongly recommend this approach if the first two ideas don't help.

If I add "640x480" the to the Display section I just get a lower
resolution version of what I was getting before. :(

-Bill

--=20
-=3D| Bill Swingle - <unfurl@(dub.net|freebsd.org)>
-=3D| Every message PGP signed
-=3D| Fingerprint: C1E3 49D1 EFC9 3EE0 EA6E  6414 5200 1C95 8E09 0223
-=3D| "Computers are useless. They can only give you answers" Pablo Picasso=
=20

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs--