Date:      Sat, 16 May 1998 18:55:35 -0700
From:      "L. Floyd" <lfloyd@sonic.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installation doesn't see unused portion of new HD

I'm having to reinstall FreeBSD (and Win95) due to a faulty hard disk.
The new hard disk is a:

Maxtor DiamondMax 2160
Model 84320D4 4.32 gbytes
Ultra IDE
8930 cylinders
15 heads
63 sectors

however, my BIOS, using logical block addressing, sets the parameters
as:

525 cylinders
255 heads
63 sectors

I partitioned 3.4 gbytes of the disk, using fdisk, for Win95 and left
the remaining 900 megs for FreeBSD.  I sucessfully reinstalled Win95,
and I was preparing to reinstall FreeBSD 2.2.5 by booting from a FreeBSD
floopy.  After eliminating conflicts in the kernel, FreeBSD began
booting up and probing.  During the probing, I noticed that it didn't
see the new disk correctly.  It saw it as being only something on the
order of 1.8 gbytes, not 4.3 gbytes.  Then, when trying to set up the
FreeBSD slice, sysinstall didn't see any unused space on the disk.

So, my questions are these:

- Did I not partition the disk correctly?  Do I need to specify an
"unused" chunk using fdisk?
- Will this hard disk work with FreeBSD?

I have about 5 more days until my money-back warranty runs out.  I'm
tempted to just return the dang thing and wait until they get some
Western Digital EIDE drives back in... I've not had any trouble with
that type/brand.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks!

- Larry Floyd