Date:      Fri, 3 Oct 1997 16:54:47 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@freebie.dcfinc.com>
To:        Hetzels@aol.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSUP vs. SNAPS

> I've come up with a fix for this problem that uses the CTM number to
> indicate the systems current status.  See my message "CTM patch level
> added to newvers.sh" for the patch.

And certainly in the correct spirit of things.  However, I have a T1 to
the internet, and use CVSup to track the -STABLE branch.  Something
perhaps a little more universal is needed.

Perhaps a hack to CVSup to collect some serialized number, or date/time
stamp which can be built into the kernel (part of the uname structure)?

Of course, that doesn't cover folks who update the kernel seperately from
all the utilities.  Or who update one subsystem (sendmail, perhaps).
Those people can check the ID of the source files, I guess.  And they
should know what parts they have mucked with.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)              Brother, can you paradigm?
602-953-1392  chad@dcfinc.com  chad@anasazi.com  crl22@aol.com