Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 2020 15:30:18 +0200
From:      Peter Libassi <peter@libassi.se>
To:        "Alexander V. Chernikov" <melifaro@ipfw.ru>
Cc:        net <net@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ip(8) in base

=46rom a consumer view I think we should be conservative and not add any =
additional commands that operates in an area where there already exists =
well known commands. Not sure i understand what new features you are =
contributing, but the sound of it i guess it has to do with IP routing =
and fib=E2=80=99s. If this is the case i would like to see this =
introduced in to route(8) and netstat(1)

/Peter

<melifaro@ipfw.ru>:
>=20
> I want to introduce ip(8) or something similar in base.
> Basically, I need some userland tool to explicitly operates on =
nexthops, nexthop groups and fib lookup algorithms.
>=20
> The existing tools are not well suited for the job: route(8) may be a =
candidate, but (a) it would either add another bunch of  options or =
drastically change the tool by introducing [route nhop add], [route =
nhgroup add] and (b) listing is traditionally done by netstat(8).
>=20
> I feel like there is a need of some cli tool that provides the ability =
to easily extend it by having separate namespaces for each sub-command =
(hello, ifconfig).
>=20
> Naming is hard. I can, for example, use "rt" as a name to address my =
use cases.
> However, given the kernel interfaces for managing nexthops/nexhop =
groups are the same as with routes/arp/ndp, why not spending some =
additional time and support operating on routes and neighbors and name =
it ip?
>=20
> Though, that arises multiple questions.
> Are we comfortable with ip(8) as a name in general?
> If we are, what=E2=80=99s our take on having the compatible interface =
with Linux ip(8)?=20
>=20
> Any comments/feedback is welcome :-)
>=20
>=20
> Appendix=20
> List of commands I need implemented
>=20
> cmd [-46m] nhop create [gw XX] [iface YYY] [mtu YYY] [reject] =
[proxyfib Y] [fib X][ipv4] [ipv6]
> cmd [-46m] nhop delete nhop_id
> cmd -46m nhop list=20
> cmd -j nhop list # json=20
>=20
> cmd -46m nhgroup create nhops 1,2,3,4,5,6 [fib X]
> cmd -46 nhgroup create nhops 1=3D100,2=3D100,3=3D200,4=3D100 [proxyfib =
Y][fib X]