Date:      Fri, 18 Dec 1998 02:33:33 -0600
From:      George Wenzel <gee2@realtime.net>
To:        richard <richard@sneaker.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Usenet performance issues (was Re: RAID solutions?)

richard wrote:

> I came across a ISP using DNEWS, whenever I access a group, my requests
> will be placed into a long queue waiting for a long long fetching the
> group ....... I didn't like it and left the ISP.
>
> Surely, as the administrator or owner of  ISP , people love DNEWS, but
> as a user, you might have different view over the DNEWS.

Actually, there are a lot of ways to use Dnews.

Dnews has lots of options I simply don't use.  I am using Dnews in the
same way I was using INN.  I do peer to peer NNTP, and users read live
hot news.

Dnews has the option to use a "sucking" feed.  A sucking feed emulates
a user while connecting to the upstream site.  For someone with a
small number of users, this is MUCH more efficient than a full feed.
however if you provide feeds, or have enough users that sucking is
impractical, you simply don't use it.

I tested the sucking feed against my INN server when I first evaluated
Dnews.  I agree with the theory behind it, but I could tell within
a few minutes that I didn't want that.  I have thousands of users
trained
to expect news on demand, and the sucking feed configuration would have
been unexciting to them.

I'd write your experience off as an inexperienced ISP making a
management decision destined for unpopularity.  Just because you
/can/ shoot yourself in the foot doesn't mean you should.

I guess that is the universal caveat... Your milage is dependant on how
YOU drive more than what you drive.

Few of the complaints I get about news have anything to do with the
server.  In fact, I can't think of any complaints that were because
of the software.  Perhaps complaints on how I configured expire or
something, but then not everyone understands that carrying a month
of binaries is impractical.  My largest problems have been that the
whole thing seems clogged and poorly managed... Usenet that is... but
I wouldn't have it any other way ;)

George