Date:      Mon, 3 Aug 2020 16:25:55 -0400
From:      Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zfs scrub enable by default

--dUDSsrYzWePLsuMJ6BLynjBl8cuScCtBf
From: Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
To: freebsd-fs@freebsd.org

--k6fK7soGuFtXcTR5VEmoLkcvVDV0EkrAL

On 2020-08-03 12:10, Steve Wills wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I wonder why we don't enable zfs periodic scrub by default?
>=20
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/usr.sbin/periodic/periodic.conf?vi=
ew=3Dmarkup#l162
>=20
>=20
> Anyone happen to know?
>=20
> Thanks,
> Steve
>=20

I think switching this to on-by-default is a good thing.

To be clear, which the check is part of 'periodic daily', it only
triggers a scrub if it has been more than 35 days since the last scrub.

FreeNAS already has does this, and that accounts for a large number of
FreeBSD ZFS deployments.

There is tuning you can do in ZFS to try to lessen the impact of a scrub
on your production workloads.

The periodic script lets you select which pools to include (defaults to
all), so you can tune it to only scrub your root pool every 35 days, and
not the large pool that might take too long to scrub or whatever. It
also lets you set a different threshold for each pool.

So I don't see any reason not to enable it by default, and just document
how to adjust it if people really need to disable it. Honestly, I think
those who are disabling it are doing themselves a disservice.

--=20
Allan Jude