Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 2002 16:16:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Paul English <penglish@hydro.washington.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Solaris NIS client of FreeBSD server

I have a single Solaris NIS client, and it is having trouble
authenticating NIS users (served from FreeBSD 4.4)... but only some of
them. The majority of users in my master.passwd file have not changed
their password since I upgraded from FreeBSD 4.2 (and I was originally
serving NIS from an HPUX machine). But new users and those who have
changed their password now have a "different" password in the password
file. An example would be -
old style password:
6WCVceOXJxRyk

new style password:
$1$Q31X2mzL$akt0cjOa7lCRcUberobXL/

FreeBSD doesn't seem to have a problem with either one, but Solaris can't
handle users with the new style password. It won't authenticate them,
although I can (as root) su to that user under Solaris and they are
recognized as valid users (finger) and the Solaris box is bound to the
FreeBSD nis server.

Is there any way I can direct FreeBSD to generate the "old style"
passwords? Or is there any way I can direct Solaris recognize the "new
style" passwords?

Thanks,
Paul