Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 1999 23:05:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        Cosmic 665 <the_hermit665@hotmail.com>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Kernel" SYSTEM HANGS and halts

:>     A pentium-II cpu uses a Pentium-PRO core, not a pentium core.  In
:>     otherwords, those are I686_cpu's you have, not 586's, so you should
:>     specify both the I586_cpu and the I686_cpu options.
:
:Is there some reason that you can't just use I686_cpu?  I do on my dual PII
:box, and it works...

    Oh sure, that will work, but I haven't found that removing the I586_cpu
    improves performance any and I've shot myself in the foot in the past
    by not having it - I have a mix of machines and sometimes I shift boot
    disks around.  The K6-II's are recognized as 586 cpu's.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>

:Run mptable, and set your kernel to explicitly use what it returns.
:
:
:David Scheidt
:
:
:
:with "unsubscribe freebsd-smp" in the body of the message
: