Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 2024 12:48:35 -0700
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        Helge Oldach <freebsd@oldach.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using dma for external incoming mail

On Sun, Jul 07, 2024 at 10:14:37AM +0200, Helge Oldach wrote:
> bob prohaska wrote on Sat, 06 Jul 2024 20:09:18 +0200 (CEST):
> > What are the constraints preventing its use for receiving external mail?
> > It looks as if simply setting it to listen on port 25 will do the job.
>
> DMA doesn't listen.
I didn't infer that from "...is not intended...."

> In case your mailbox is on gmail (or some other external provider) you
> can pull emails with mail/fetchmail.

That's somewhat the point. I don't _have_ a gmail account and don't want one.
All the guidance I find for dealing with gmail seem to assume an existing
gmail account. My host sends mail directly to the recipient. The very few
messages to gmail addresses bounce, all else goes through. I can understand
the requirement of a gmail account for bulk mailers, but I'm not one.

I've set up an SPF entry in my DNS. The most readable description of
TLS with sendmail is https://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4823 but it's
quite old, 2001, is specific to Linux and makes no mention of gmail's
new requirements for authentication.

It looks like all I need is SPF and TLS, if "Requirements for all senders" at
https://support.google.com/a/answer/81126?hl=en#zippy=%2Crequirements-for-all-senders
is correct and complete. There have been suggestions it is neither, but it's a start.

> DMA would be able to deliver email to gmail (or elsewhere).

I need to both send and receive personal email.

Thanks for writing,

bob prohaska