Date:      Tue, 29 Mar 2022 19:27:56 -0400
From:      Mathieu <sigsys@gmail.com>
To:        Shawn Webb <shawn.webb@hardenedbsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: curtain: WIP sandboxing mechanism with pledge()/unveil() support

On 3/29/22 17:12, Shawn Webb wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 03:46:09PM -0400, Mathieu wrote:

>>> Hey Mathieu,
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot for working on this! I'm incredibly excited to see this
>>> work progress and mature.
>>
>> Hey! Thanks, nice to hear that.
>>

>>> I'd love to start reviewing your work. One thing that would make it
>>> easier to review would be if you used a feature branch rather than
>>> relying on the main branch. That way, a simple `git diff` command
>>> could be used to generate a diff between your code and stock freebsd.
>>>
>>> If you'd like an example of that, take a look at HardenedBSD's
>>> repo[0]. We have two relevant branches:
>>>
>>> freebsd/current/main <- FreeBSD's sources
>>> hardened/current/main <- HardenedBSD's patches applied on top of
>>>       FreeBSD's sources
>>>
>>> Users can then simply run `git diff origin/freebsd/current/main` to
>>> see all the changes we've made (assuming the user is currently working
>>> on the hardened/current/master branch.)
>>>
>>> [0]: https://git.hardenedbsd.org/HardenedBSD/hardenedbsd
>>
>> I gotta be honest, I'm never too sure if I understand what git is doing. So
>> I try to keep it simple. I'm going to create a "stock" branch and keep it
>> pointing *exactly* to what I've been merging from. Lemme know if that works.
>> I'm not too sure I'd be using a more elaborate branch layout correctly...
>> This is going to be a lot of work to review so yeah I'd try to set this up
>> to make it easier but I could just make it worse too heh. The way I've been
>> comparing my changes to stock so far was with 3 dots diff: `git diff
>> freebsd/main...main`.
> I quickly forked your repo, and created two branches:
> freebsd/current/main and curtain/current/main:
>
> https://github.com/lattera/freebsd-pledge
>
> So now freebsd/current/main can be updated first, then you can merge
> in freebsd/current/main into curtain/current/main. Hopefully you find
> that useful.

Ok I think I get it. I'm being confused with what rearranging branches
means for a cloned repo on github... I'm sure it's not that complicated
but I'm gonna have another look at it later more carefully to make sure
I don't break everything. I just noticed that I have a zillion
"users"/"projects" branches in that github repo too. They must be from
before main FreeBSD repo switched to git. That repo was cloned a while
ago. And they're ALL out of date. Ah, I was probably supposed to click
an "update upstream" button somewhere on github to keep all of this
synchronized... Yeah I'm gonna clean this up and use your branch structure.

>> Also, I gotta warn you, the lack of comments is just terrible in some
>> places. This project turned out to be a lot more complicated than I had
>> hoped. Correctly handling "slots" and inheritance/masking between sandboxes
>> was harder than I thought. Most of the complexity are in the library and MAC
>> module. But I think it probably was necessary complexity to get the (mostly)
>> seamlessly nestable sandboxing system that I wanted...
> Totally understood. This is a work in progress and there's likely a
> lot to still be worked out (as you've already mentioned.)

Yes. But (hopefully) I think I'm done redesigning it and changing how it
integrates with the rest of the kernel (I had tried a few approaches
already...). Which should hopefully mean less merge conflicts happening.
I'll have a look at what the conflicts are like with HardenedBSD's main
after rearranging my branches.

> My work load at ${DAYJOB} is a bit tight at the moment, but I do plan
> on taking some time off soon. During that time off, I'll start peeking
> at the code. I'll make sure to keep an eye on the project in the
> meantime, though.

Alright! Lemme know how this goes. I'd be glad to see this merged in
HardenedBSD too. For FreeBSD I was thinking most of this could become a
port, but there might be advantages in merging the whole thing in base
to make it easier to use sandboxing more places (like base daemons,
rc.d/periodic scripts, maybe login.conf support for it, etc).

> Thanks again!

Sure thing