Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 1997 17:27:39 -0800
From:      jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   SysV printing lameness...

Now that I'm familiar with the mechanism, and it actually works most of the
time, I don't have a problem with the System V LP service.  Certainly the BSD
print system has its inadequacies too.  But somehow Sun manages to screw
something up, as evidenced by my story...

I wanted to set up printing on Solaris/x86 at home to filter my PostScript
jobs through Ghostscript, and generate PCL for my HP Deskjet 500 printer.  I
have a tried-and-true script to do this, which works great (with minor
modifications) on FreeBSD, Linux, and Solaris (on a SPARCstation connected to
a LaserJet III at work).  But when I set it up, and tried to print out
tiger.ps, I got a garbled picture with weird characters along the left side.

I tried everything, and there is a LOT to try, since SYSV printing has so many
more options than BSD, and they are configured through command-line utilities,
rather than editing a printcap file directly.  Finally, in desparation, I
posted to solaris-x86@mlist.eis.com, and received the response to type:

# lpadmin -p printername -H none

which apparently removes some STREAMS module which "helpfully" converts LF to
CRLF, corrupting my PCL picture in the process!  This is an *undocumented*
switch, no wonder I didn't find it.  Good thing I posted to the mailing list,
or I would never have figured it out...

Two conclusions from this story:  First, mailing lists are a wonderful
resource, regardless of the OS, and second, STREAMS are truly evil!  Have a
nice day...

-- Jake