Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 1997 16:24:15 -0400
From:      "Brad Bates" <bab@[204.199.163.200]>
To:        "Tony Costa" <acosta@intergate.bc.ca>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NO flames -- Re: Simplicity.

Hello Tony,

This is not a flame, so if you have not deleted it, feel free to
read on...

----------
> From: Tony Costa <acosta@intergate.bc.ca>
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Simplicity.
> Date: Sunday, June 15, 1997 5:52 PM
>
> hello folks,
> I am a very dedicated computer lover and I intend to try FreeBSD in my
> computer.

Good.  We are in agreement,

<- snip ->

> The reason Microsoft and Apple are so famous all ,over the world is the
> simplicity and directness of their applications and approach.

<- snip ->

except on this minor count.  I can bash with the best of 'em (and do),
but the real reasons behind much of the success of Microsoft(R) is
their marketing -- it works and people buy their stuff.  That, combined
with a lot of history and business junk none of us want to read here.
Apple is in decline, and yes, there is history there too (start back at
PARC place for that?).

<- snip ->

> I appreciate anything that leads me to the right directon without the
> need for me to take a full computer course.

Okay, but let's keep it to the point and leave out the editorial parts.
Specifically, what do you want to know at this point, and what have
you completed (step-wise) up to now?  Also, a list of your hardware
might be helpful (someone may see a pitfall ahead based on
experience to date).

If I can't help you, someone will.  This is that kind of list.

Finally, I concur with your assessment of the installation process.  It
is not a point-and-shoot type of thing like, say, installing some small
application or even Win 95 on a normal WINTEL box.  I believe it could
be made easier, but I am not sure if the payoff is there.  I have seen
much more difficult installations (System V, ver 3.2 comes to mind),
and a certain amount of the installation of any UNIX needs to be left
open for an administrator to configure -- you can install and build a
kernel for the OS that does not work from a registry (NT or Win 95).
To do that you have to make decisions on what options you want to
take, and can tune things to fit your needs.  Also, I understand that
the CD-ROM installation is very easy (haven't seen it).

Read the docs, and ask questions to the list as needed.  You may
find that if you can tell us in advance what you have read or what
reference you are working from, that you will get a quicker, or at
least a more complete answer in less time.  Most do expect you to
read (quite a bit) before you ask though -- it saves many questions
that the docs answer.

bab

PS  DOS, and all that followed, came from UNIX, and Bill Gates
knows it.  Anyone care to comment on how parts of the NT registry
act a bit like a bloated set of rc.d files when it boots?