Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 1998 13:00:38 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
To:        dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com (David Babler)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail morons

> On Sun, 13 Dec 1998, Kevin Day wrote:
>

> > Somehow, we're on some spam software's list of open relays, I think. We
> > aren't open to relaying, but people sure try.
> >
> > I'm guessing this is a bug in the software, but... when it can't relay, it
> > leaves the connection open, then goes and tries again, and again.....
> >
> > root     14170  0.0  1.2   636  736  ??  I    11:47PM    0:00.02
>  sendmail: server guy78@van-wa1-17.ix.netcom.com [205.184.177.49] cmd read
>  (sendmail)
>
> In addition to cutting down the delay time and blocking the IP range as
> others have suggested, this is coming from a Netcom dialup in Vancouver,
> Washington. There aren't all THAT many dialup ports there, so finding the
> clueless moron won't be difficult - call Netcom and report a network
> security problem and DoS (which this is) and have the bozo nuked.
>
> -Dave

I've dropped down the timeouts, and I've blocked IP's... However... I must
be on some list somewhre, as we get 20-30 people a day doing this to us, all
from different dialups/providers.

I'm thinking about hacking sendmail to drop the connection after it says
'relay not permitted' so they don't hang on like this.

Kevin