Date:      Sun, 3 Oct 2004 20:45:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dru <dlavigne6@sympatico.ca>
To:        Dan Pelleg <daniel@pelleg.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install hangs on IBM Thinkpad X23

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Dan Pelleg wrote:
<snip>
> I'm about to update that page for -5.X. On my 2662-E5U I successfully
> installed 4.5, some early 5 release (either 5.1 or 5.2.1), and
> 5.3-beta3. All of them from a USB cd-rom, none of them while docked. I
> don't recall ever seeing that error. So at this point I tend to think it's
> something that can be fixed by changing some BIOS option. Possibly along
> the lines of:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-January/019435.html

Yes, I suspect it is a BIOS option. Unfortunately, my current BIOS doesn't
have the particular option listed in the above URL.

> PS: if you don't have MS-Windows on that machine, and your desired BIOS
> change is not supported in the startup menus, you can download the PS2 tool
> from IBM's website to change it. At least, in theory you can. In practice,
> they don't provide floppy or iso9660 images. You need to ignore the
> misleading instructions on:
> http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4ZFPEG

Not having too much joy at that site. The only MS machine I have access to
at the moment is 2000. Internet Explorer was hanging on the "I agree"
popup box; now I can't even get it to give me the popup box. Grrr. I
downloaded the file no prob in BSD and sneaker-netted it over to 2000 but
I get a 16-bit MS-DOS subsystem illegal instruction message whenever I
try to run it. Zippo extraction.

> And then download the .exe and run it on a Windows machine (not necessarily
> a thinkpad). Don't try to run what it extracted - it probably won't
> work. But you can copy the UTILITY directory that it creates to a floppy
> and run that.
> That is, if you have a floppy. I don't. I had to grab images from DOS
> floppies, mount them on a vn(4), and manipulate them so I had one image for
> a bootable floppy and another one with the contents of the IBM tools.

I have the exact opposite problem: built-in floppy, external CDROM
attached to a PCMCIA adapter. Hmmm, I wonder if they make adapters that go
from the external CDROM to a USB port?? I do believe the NIC has a PROM
chip; my best bet might be to make a PXE server and install that way...

Dru