Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 03:56:37 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        hoek@hwcn.org, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Memory leak in getservbyXXX?

> Yeah, but who cares if the doofs survive?  Would you want to be the last
> intelligent person on a planet populated soley with sales dweebs,
> marketroids, and multi-level-marketeers?

Ah, a segue into my favorite subject: The progressively increasing
interference in proper evolution by western society!

Consider your standard evolutionary scenario: An organism lives in a
semi-hostile environment and, in fending off various natural hazards,
not only prunes the weaker percentage of its gene pool but also
evolves to cope more effectively with those hazards, through this
process often gaining new abilities (and I do realize that other
abilities might also be lost in the process, I'm simply saying that
the organism's growth is kept dynamic).

Now you have us humans, populating the earth in ever increasing
numbers and let's face it: even though few are willing to say it in so
many words just yet, unless our population growth declines extremely
rapidly and RSN, a heck of a lot of somebodies are going to have to go
at some point!

What do we do about this, however?  We work steadily on making it
easier to raise even more kids through better health care and food
distribution and, once those kids are adults, keep them alive by
progressively eliminating all potential hazards until the only
significant remaining hazard is ourselves (*gulp* uh oh!).

I say sod that, it's time for a little more self-imposed genetic
discipline.  Instead of working so damn hard to dumb-down each and
every single product, legislating heavily against any form of activity
which might be even remotely dangerous and nurturing a complex system
of liability laws which allow the stupid to collect rich rewards on
their unique ability to injure themselves, screw it, I say we throw
that whole approach out.  We give up this silly crusade to file the
sharp edges off of everything in life and, instead, we leave the edges
alone and enhance our educational system with more "how to avoid
getting cut on the sharp edges of life" classes.  Those students who
pay attention to the lessons and retain this knowledge survive and
those who hide in the boy's room smoking cigarettes and lack any
natural cunning in recompense, don't.  No big loss at all.

In fact, in addition to tearing off all the warning labels and
throwing out the laws which say you can't freely purchase and play
with high explosives if you really want to (though blowing up others
without their consent would still, of course, be a seriously
punishable offense), you'd maybe even go one step further.  Every
year, by law, a small but significant percentage of truly *dangerous*
products would be made and released in the "thrill seeker" category.
Only a small logo would identify the product as dangerous, no other
clue giving any indication of exactly *how* it was dangerous - that
would be up to the user to figure out.  If you were injured or killed
while using a thrill seeker product, federal liability law would
require everyone to laugh at you for some period afterwards, but
that'd be about the extent of its coverage.  If you sought legal
remedy, of course the courts would laugh even harder.

I figure this would replace the lions and tigers and other useful
natural hazards which we used to have but have long since eradicated.
It would also, IMHO, make life a lot more interesting than it is
now. ;-)

					Jordan