Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 16:14:10 -0800
From:      Devin Butterfield <dbutter@wireless.net>
To:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>
Cc:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: StrongARM support?

"Michael C . Wu" wrote:

> [sent to -small too]
>
> I would be quite interested. But do we have the resouces and the man-hours
> to handle IA-64/KA-64/PPC/Alpha/StrongARM at the same time?  I am
> very interested in the PPC and StrongARM port, but there are so few of
> us on -ppc...  Perhaps the first step would be to start a
> freebsd-arm@freebsd.org mailing list?

It would seem to me that the logical approach would be to pursue the
project for which there is the most interest; for which there are people
interested in working on it. A mailing list certainly seems like a good
way to get started. I for one am interested in the StrongARM port. Of
course, I have an iPAQ not a PPC so there lies the source of my bias. :)

> However, imho we should finish the FreeBSD/PPC project first.
> The StrongARM is quite similiar to the PPC processors.  If we
> get the loader and init working, the rest will be a breeze.
> We could simply build a cross-gcc on ARM/Linux and the rest is
> making sure that everything compiles.
>
> Intel recently supplied me with the Brutus, Assabet, and the EBSA
> boards in addition to a compiler/debugger suite for a research project.

I'd be willing to use my iPAQ as a guinea pig. ;-)

> The most important decision now would be:
> Should we concentrate on the PPC port first? Or should we go at each
> port simultaneously?

Well, if there are enough people with PCC's that are interested in
helping with the effort then perhaps pursuing the PPC port first would
make more sense. I don't have a PPC so I couldn't help out there...

If the decision is to pursue a StrongARM port then you can count me in.
--
Regards, Devin.