Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 1998 18:46:09 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: does CAM do this?

Matthew Jacob writes:
> >        What is the blocksize of the current tape record?
>
> Unless you're tape drive is clairvoyant, you can't  know that
> until you read the record (or attempt to).

And that's apparently what the SGI Irix "mt blksize" command does.
Additionally it reports the min and max blocksize supported, and the
"recommended" blocksize SGI's utilities will use unless instructed
otherwise, or they inherit a blocksize from the device. Yes, I've seen a
number of tar tapes with 512 byte blocks (they didn't know), and have
one source that likes to write 1M blocksize (he thought it would be
faster and save space on the tape).

Unless I've messed up here, my "ARCHIVE Python 28388-XXX 4.CM" will
read a compressed tape with no way of me knowing that it is doing so.
While an enhanced "mt status" could query many tape drives and report
on current tape position, it would be very nice if there was a way to
report if the tape was written using a hardware compression method.