Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 1995 21:22:06 +0300
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage" <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        Gene Stark <starkhome!gene@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu>, swallace@ece.uci.edu
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, ugen@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: new sound driver configuration

In message <199503160352.WAA15780@starkhome.cs.sunysb.edu> Gene Stark
    writes:

>I compiled a kernel for SoundBlaster 16 with the following config:

>	controller      snd0
>	device          sb0     at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
>	device          sbxvi0  at isa? drq 6

Try to specify full port/irq/vector line here. In prefect case this must
not match sb0 values (like PAS does), or you need ALOW_CONFLICT_IRQ
or disable sb0

>	Though I was able to play .au files to /dev/audio,
>		reading /dev/dsp produced a short header, then apparently
>		no actual data.
>	Reading /dev/dsp1 gave a "Device not configured" error
>		(I don't know if this was supposed to work or not.)

/dev/dsp1 will works if U have two cards, f.e. PAS & SB.

>	Reading /dev/dsp16 produces data, but I don't really know what
>		to do with it.  Playing it back on /dev/audio yields noise.
>		If I plug a mike in the back, how can I record?

/dev/dsp{16} is very different from /dev/audio, /dev/dsp provide raw
access to soundcard DSP while /dev/audio do SUN-like ULAW convertion
additionly, mixing them does nothing good.
It looks like /dev/dsp is broken now, at least Ugen reports some
problems with tracker.

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -