Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 16:58:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Khoo <steve@gordian.com>
To:        Rob Snow <rsnow@lgc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS problem: Irix 5.2 server, 2.2-960501-SNAP client

    Rob> On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, Steve Khoo wrote:
    Rob> [SNIP]
    >>
    >> Thanks for the all responses and suggestions...  It looks like the
    >> problem is related to diskstriping on the Irix 5.2.  We've been
    >> playing around with diskstriping on the sgi to improve performance.  I
    >> truned off diskstriping and rebooted the sgi lastnight and all seems
    >> to be fine now.  I supposed it is possible that the sgi was somehow
    >> hosed and rebooting fixed it.  However, this is unlikely because nfs
    >> mounts to other systems were still working; I did umount and mount on
    >> sunos and hp machines to the sgi and worked without a problem.  I'll
    >> have to test it again with striping truned ON on the sgi later, just
    >> to double check; Since this sgi is a production unit, I can't be
    >> rebooting it too many times.

    Rob> Just checking it on my Indigo2 - Irix 6.2 and mounted an xfs partition
    Rob> with no problem.  I've seen problems with Irix and mounting other
    Rob> filesystems, usually solved by -o vers=2 to force v2 instead of v3.

    >> Anyway, we are pretty impressed with this P6 unit so far.  We did some
    >> benchmarking with a realworld example(we use a gcc cross-compiler for
    >> embeded mips system and built one of our source tree), and here are
    >> the resuls:
    >>
    >> SGI		21 mins
    >> P6(NFS)		16 mins
    >> P6(local)	 7 mins

    Rob> Good looking numbers!

    >> The source tree is on the SGI server.  P6(NFS) is the compile time for
    >> the P6 with the source tree mounted via NFS from the SGI.  P6(local)
    >> is with the source tree copied over to a local disk on P6.
    >>
    >> System specs:
    >>
    >> SGI Challenge S server (Irix 5.2)
    >> 150 Mhz R4600 MIPS Processor
    >> 160MB RAM
    >> Fast Wide Differential SCSI Controller
    >> Seagate Barracuda FWD SCSI drives: 2's and 4's
    >> 10BaseT NIC
    Rob> Is this a PC (Primary cache only) or SC (L2 cache added)?

It has 256K L2 Cache.

    >> P6 (FreeBSD 2.2-960501-SNAP, kernel rebuilt without FAILSAFE option
    >> and all the other unnecessary drivers)
    >> Intel Pentium Pro 200 Mhz CPU
    >> 64M EDO RAM
    >> Asus P/I-P6RP4, Orion chipset stepping B0 motherboard
    >> NCR Fast Wide Differential SCSI Controller
    >> 4G Seagate Barracuda FWD SCSI drive
    >> SMC 9332DST 10/100BaseT DC2114 based NIC
    >> Steve E. Khoo				Gordian
    >> Systems Manager				20361 Irvine Ave
    >> Internet: steve@gordian.com		Santa Ana Heights, CA 92707
    >> Phone: (714)850-0205			FAX: (714)850-0533

    Rob> --
    Rob> Rob Snow
    Rob> Sr. Systems Administrator
    Rob> Landmark Graphics Corporation

BTW, what kind of nfs performance should I be getting from the above P6
system as an NFS server?   I'm getting pretty disappointing results:

On an isolated 100BaseT network I'm only getting:

IOZONE performance measurements:
        247132 bytes/second for writing the file
        4488887 bytes/second for reading the file

This is from a p5-100Mhz 512K PB Cache / 32M RAM nfs client.

SEK