Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 1996 09:10:17 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        rohit@cs.umd.edu (Rohit Dube)
Subject:   Re: Conventions/Rules for adding Local ioctls

As Rohit Dube wrote:

> Sorry for not putting this on to my orignal post : I am using Major
> (Character) device number 20 which is reserved for local use.

You mentioned this in your original post ;)...

> The pseudo driver (I call it /dev/cntrl0) is not a tty driver. I

but not this.

> am structuring it like 'bpf' I use it to control a bunch of
> other pseudo devices which sit on top of the 'de' ethernet driver.
> Just like any usual network driver, these pseudo network device drivers
> do not have any /dev entries.

You must avoid the `f' group (FIOxxx, see <sys/filio.h>) since the
generic ioctl code handles them first, independently of the underlying
driver.

You must avoid any of the cmds your driver intends to pass on to
underlying physical devices (by directly calling their ioctl entry
point).

> I was hoping for a globally maintained file hidden somewhere which listed
> at least the 'taken' groups. More comments??

We will happily include it somewhere in the documentation if you write
this file.  (no smiley, no joke!)

Of course, don't be surprised, with only 2*26 letters, it's very
likely that several groups are already in duplicate use.

--
cheers, J"org