Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 12:23:24 -0600
From:      Benjamin Gavin <gavinb@supranet.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Spontaneous Reboot on STABLE-032399

Hi,
  I am running FreeBSD 3.0-STABLE CVSupped and made world on Mar 23, 1999.
I am seeing spontaneous reboots when in the midst of compilation.  I have
seen it a couple of times, but I have never had a log of when it happened.
Now I finally do.  Early this morning (3/31) I did a CVSup of the main
source tree.  I have this running in a script that CVS updates the source
and ports tree, then runs a buildworld.  If I see that significant changes
have been made, then I can easily run an installworld and be ready to go.
The problem resides in the build process itself.  The server tends to
reboot every once in a while while running the buildworld (the latest time
while building gnu/usr.bin/groff/libgroff).  There is no indication of why
the reboot happened in any of the logs and the only thing that was
scheduled to happen at that time was a named stats dump (seems to happen
every hour ?).   Squid-2.2 is also running, although it is only doing cache
cleanup, not actually serving any pages.
  This rebooting wouldn't bother me too much (this isn't a production
machine), but it does frustrate me when I am already 2-3 hours into the
build process :(.  (I am running on a P-I 166MMX).  I was just wondering if
anyone else had seen this.  The CPU shouldn't be overheating, since this
machine stays on about 24-7 and I haven't seen any other problems.  It
seems to just reboot while I am compiling.  I plan on possibly going into
single-user mode to see if the reboots still happen.  Any ideas??  Is there
any way to recover the build process (not necessary, but it would be nice
to know.)??

Thanks,
Ben
  Benjamin Gavin - Senior Consultant