Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 01:50:20 -0400
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@altavista.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Hostname

Wayne,

> I connect to the internet with DSL

I presume you use DHCP to get your IP.

> what value do I use for 'hostname' in the rc.conf file.

That may or may not be as important as the first entry which you should
have in your hosts file for your IP.

I suggest that if you want to run your own servers - mail and others, then
you should sign up with some kind of dynamic DNS service. There are
several which you can use for free* and several which charge a modest fee.

Typically when you use such a service, you'll be in some domain which the
service provider owns, for example I am in servehttp.com.

I then set my hostname to "hal9000.servehttp.com" in rc.conf and have..

	(my IP)		hal9000.servehttp.com hal9000 hal

..in my /etc/hosts.

If you do likewise, sendmail should be perfectly happy. For the record, I
don't use sendmail but I am familiar with its behaviour wrt qualifying
server names.

Note that more importantly than just avoiding messages at startup, you
will be unable to deliver mail to some servers unless they can look up
your FQDN.

*[ I use no-ip.com and am happy with them so far, although my IP hasn't
   changed yet so I haven't confirmed that the update works.]

-Andrew-