Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 10:06:37 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tim Zingelman <zingelman@fnal.gov>
To:        Fernan Aguero <pichita3@netscape.net>
Cc:        <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: some weird stuff found

On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Fernan Aguero wrote:

> In the last few days I started noticing strange things. Some of them
> I do not understand and perhaps are normal things (such as being scanned)
> and others may be more critical.
> I appreciate any help and insight you can give me.
>
>     Also: I need to print to a network printer but I'm not a print server.
>     Do I need 515 open?
>     How do I close those ports (25,587,515)?
No and no.  Add:

  sendmail_flags="-q30m"
  ldp_flags="-p"

to your /etc/rc.conf.  This will stop them from listening.

>     And last, I am running xdm but I only allowed connections from
>     localhost. Is this in any way related to X11 being on port 6000?
>     (/etc/services shows xdm on port 177)

xdm is already not listening on 177, likely due to the line:

 DisplayManager.requestPort:     0

in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-config.  The same can be accomplished by
adding -udpPort 0 to the xdm line in /etc/ttys like this:

 ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon -udpPort 0"       xterm   on  secure

To make the X server stop listening on port 6000, you should edit
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0 amd add -nolisten tcp, like this:

 :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp

 - Tim