Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2001 14:14:40 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Mike Smith" <mhsmith@ee.washington.edu>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: make release

> I need to do an NFS install, so I'm trying to build a distribution. I
> frequently keep my sources up to date with cvsup. When I cd to
> /usr/src/release and do a make release, it wants a CVSROOT variable, but I
> have no idea what to put here. I don't have folder containing the files
> it's looking for. Thanks.

You don't need to do a 'make release' to do an NFS installation.

On the host (server) machine, just do a 'make buildworld'.
On the target (client) machines, NFS mount /usr/obj and /usr/src, change to
/usr/src, and continue on as you would normally do. (I believe the current
"correct" procedure is 'make buildkernel', 'make installkernel', reboot,
'make installworld', mergemaster.)

--
Matt Emmerton