Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 14:37:35 +0200
From:      Yonatan Bokovza <Yonatan@xpert.com>
To:        'Tomek' <tomek@mpionline.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: I got hacked, I think

<snip>
> ===QUESTIONS===
<snip>

> Is it normal for /var/log/security to be empty?
from syslog.conf(5):
# Log all security messages to a separate file.
security.*			/var/log/security

If you don't have any "security messages" it can bve empty.
Mine is.

> Is it normal to have lots of entries in setuid.today (ie: is it caused
> by general server activity)?

That depends on what do you define as "general server activity".
After "installworld", for example, you'll a list of all the changed
suid-files, which is lots.

> Any suggestions of what logs/places I should check next to
> find out WHAT
> has been done to my system and what it was used for? (ie: a connection
> log to see when this hacker was connecting, if it exists).

Most of /var/log. If you think you've been hacked, see chkrootkit from
the ports, or www.cert.org for "what to do if you've been hacked".
See also last(1) utmp(5) and /var/log/lastlog, and user's ~/.history files.