Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 19:32:19 +0100
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh problem

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 17:28 -0800, Robert Banniza wrote:

> It is better to install the new file when cvsup'ing or merge
> the old and new file together? This is assuming the user hasn't
> entered anything special into the file. I did an install on the
> last cvsup rather than merging. I was somewhat confused when it
> asked me whether I wanted to install the file on the right or
> the file on the left.  Shouldn't they be one in the same if
> merged? Any info. appreciated...

Yes, _after_ merging all the stuff is in one file.  But you seem
to have a wrong idea of mergemaster merging the stuff for you.
Administration is what you have to do yourself.  The other
scenario (a machine setting up itself) will result in an "I'm
sorry, Dave ..."  But the machine could sometimes _aid_ you in
this task -- that's what mergemaster is meant for.

You might want to read the sdiff(1) manpage and maybe the
mergemaster(8) manpage.  There are configuration changes your
computer *cannot* merge reliably in the absence of AI.  So the
admin has to decide what to do should configuration have changed
in the source tree.

This brings us to your question "is it better to install or to
merge?".  The clear answer is "it depends".  When you haven't
touched the file yourself (like rc.* scripts or periodic jobs)
you probably want to 'i'nstall the new version to get all the
benefits of the development which took place.  If you have
touched the file and the source tree has an older (original)
version - like /etc/ttys, /etc/motd, usually /etc/master.passwd,
too - you probably don't want to erase your customization and
decide to 'd'elete the /var/tmp/temproot file.  In case the
source tree has an update *and* you changed the file yourself in
the system, you will have to merge these changes.  Either by
'm'erging or by putting it back for later manual intervention
(write down a note and really do come back!).  This could apply
to master.passwd (rarely, in case the source brings new users
with it and you have created accounts on your own) or rc.*
scripts or MAKEDEV you have fiddled with yourself or skeleton
files and such.

You always should be able to judge the consequences of your
action in these steps.  When in doubt, read the available online
doc.  One positive side effect is that you learn what was changed
to get a certain effect.  It makes the system more transparent to
you after some cycles.

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net