Date:      Fri, 1 Aug 1997 09:57:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports-current/packages-current discontinued

> This is truly a sad day.  The irony of this all is that it really
> didn't have to happen, and it would have been possible for us to
> support both 3.0-current and 2.2-stable if more consideration has been
> made before some commits into -current.  For instance, there is no
:

Since I am running both 2.2 and 3.0-current, I am indeed sorry
to hear this.  I hope that it turns out to be a temporary
condition.

Obviously, 2.2-stable has to continue to be supported, but,
mention has been made of past releases such as 2.0.5, 2.1,
2.1.5, and 2.1.7.  Personally, I think it is time to
"de-support" these.  Obviously, many people will continue
to run some of them for a long time, but 2.2 should
be a doable upgrade for almost everyone.  If people are
getting stretched too thin, it is time to focus on 2.2.
[And 3.0, if it can again be made to work.]

> Yours truly,
> Satoshi and the awesome Ports Team

The state of the awesome ports and packages, the ease
of installation of them, and the integration of those packages
with the kernel(s), were the reasons why I personally chose
FreeBSD over linux or NetBSD.  As a FreeBSD newbie, it appears
to me that only FreeBSD has a server-quality kernel *combined*
with a clean and integrated set of almost all the packages
a Unix die-hard expects - and, usually, expects to have
to build personally.  IF you care mainly about the kernel,
NetBSD is a more than credible effort.  IF you care mainly
about lots of packages, linux is the competition.  NetBSD
and linux have put a lot of effort into clean support of
many architectures, an effort I wholeheartedly applaud, but,
in the meantime, FreeBSD's focus on x86 has facilitated the
off-the-shelf ports/packages, a major advantage for some of us.

So, thanks from a grateful FreeBSD user to the ports/packages
team for their fine efforts in the past, and, I hope that any
disagreements are temporary and can be patched up over a few
beers at some local watering hole.

Hugh LaMaster

Apologies in advance for any misinformation contained herein.

  Hugh LaMaster, M/S 258-5,     ASCII Email:  hlamaster@mail.arc.nasa.gov
  NASA Ames Research Center     Or:           lamaster@nas.nasa.gov
  Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000  No Junkmail:  USC 18 section 2701
  Phone:  415/604-1056          Disclaimer:   Unofficial, personal *opinion*.