Date:      Sun, 19 Aug 2001 02:52:00 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, hackers@freebsd.org, murray@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendation for minor KVM adjustments for the release

>David Greenman wrote:
>>
>> >       - I would like to cap the size of the buffer cache at 200MB,
>> >         giving us another 70MB or so of KVM which is equivalent to
>> >         another 30,000 or so nmbclusters.
>>
>>    That also seems like overkill for the vast majority of systems.
>
>But probably not for the large-memory systems (and on the machines
>with small memory the limit will be smaller anyway). Having a
>machine with a few gigs of memory and being able to use only 200MB
>for the buffer cache seems to be quite bad for a general-purpose
>machine.

   Uh, I don't think you understand what this limit is about. It's
essentially the limit on the amount of filesystem directory data that
can be cached. It does not limit the amount of file data that can
be cached - that is only limited by the amount of RAM in the machine.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.