Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 21:47:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        want_2_learn_freebsd@hotmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: This isn't posible is it?

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 want_2_learn_freebsd@hotmail.com wrote:

> I'd like to create unix users who only have ftp access, and there home
> directory would be a folder on an NT share, AND have this user connect to
> that share as themselves.

First, you need to make the NT share accessible on the UNIX machine.  This
can be done using smbfs, but I haven't used it before.  Check the FAQ or
man pages for details.

Next, create the users on your FreeBSD box and give them /bin/true as a
shell and specify the appropriate directory in the smbfs filesystem as
their homedir.  You'll have to add /bin/true to the /etc/shells file in
order for them to have FTP access.  (/bin/true as a shell will prevent
them from being able to log into the system.  However, the FTP server wil
let them in via FTP since their shell is listed in /etc/shells.)

Next, place the usernames of these users in the /etc/ftpchroot file.  This
will "lock" them into their own home directories, so they can only access
their files.

As like anything in the UNIX world, YMMV.

--
Matt Emmerton