Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2002 13:18:49 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        gilbertoribeiro@aeiou.pt
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: scanner compatibility

> Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 19:17:37 GMT
> From: gilbertoribeiro@aeiou.pt
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Hello, my name is Gilberto Ribeiro, I'm portuguese (so sorry for the
> bad english), and I use FreeBSD for six months or so...
>
> Recently i bought a hp 4400 scanner and i use it under windows, when
> i tried to use it under FreeBSD i realized that there are no
> aplications for scanners, I've seached the online handbook, and
> haven't seen a single reference so scanners... why? Is it there and
> i'm just blind (if so, please give-me the link) or is FreeBSD not
> compatible with any kind of scanner. Is there a way to use my scanner
> with FreeBSD or other unix-like OS?

Scanner support in FreeBSD is by SANE, same as in Linux. The problem
is that SANE only supports some scanners and I don't see any reference
to the HP 4400.

See http://www.mostang.com/sane/ for details. xsane, sane-frontends,
and sane-backends are all in usr/ports/graphics.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)