Date:      Thu, 28 Dec 1995 15:18:03 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, craigs@venus.os.com, JSINNOTT@pomona.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendations for SCSI card?

Sean Kelly stands accused of saying:
> Unless you don't have BIOS support for the NCR, or have an IDE or a
> custom floppy from which you can boot (floppy? euyuck!).  In that
> case, the BT946C really shines.  I think Jordan has one, too!  Neener,
> neener, neener!  :-)

...and they aren't in wcarchive anymore because Bustek and Micron (IIRC) got
in bed and the resulting changes to the 946 firmware meant that they
became incompatible with everything, at least for a while.  I know that
FreeBSD Inc. rescinded their official endorsement of these controllers
for just that reason quite some time ago, after which BT supposedly came
back towards the party, but I never heard anything more about it.

SPEAKING OF WHICH...

Justin, or any other 2940-hackers, is there any progress on the 2940 driver
bug(s) in 2.1R?  I've got a site I'm supporting that's flipping 4-5 times
a day, and we could _really_ use a fix.  Unfortunately, there's nothing
being logged about the panic, and I haven't been able to get them to take
a handwritten transcript of the panic message.

The setup there is a stock 2940 and a Seagate ST31200N; beside it is a
2940UW and a 9G Seagate that's just humming along without a care.

]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[