Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:55:06 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X11 required for Document Project?

If memory serves me right, Udo Erdelhoff wrote:

> I am currently updating the various ports installed on my box and I had
> to notice that it is no longer possible to install the docproj meta
> port without getting X11 installed.

Did you try WITHOUT_X11?

(Yeah, I know it's not documented anywhere in the docproj Makefile.
But that's how we build docproj for a release build.)

> The main reason is the dependency on peps, which has a hard dependecny
> on X11.  In a fit of frustration, I kicked peps, netpbm, libxslt, and
> scr2png (everything related to graphics) out of the port.

peps depends on X11 because ghostscript does.  (Unless you build using
WITHOUT_X11.)

libxslt is used in the Web site build.  As far as I know it doesn't
have anything to do with graphics.

> links also
> went away as I do not see the point of installing Yet Another Browser.

You need this to make the ASCII (*.txt) files.  It's used as a
postprocessor on the HTML.

> After that, it was time for a pkg_delete frenzy, followed by a
> rebuild of the complete port. After a generous make clean in /usr/doc,
> I am still able to build the Release Notes, the FAQ and the FDP
> primer.

Build to what output formats?

> I cannot build anything that use eps or scr graphics, or produces
> .ps/.pdf files, of course.  But that's a price I do not mind to
> pay, because I saved myself from building all these packages:
>
> XFree86-3.3.6_10
> freetype2-2.0.8
> gd-1.8.4_5
> ghostscript-gnu-6.52_5
> jpeg-6b_1
> netpbm-9.24
> peps-1.0
> pkgconfig-0.10.0
> png-1.2.1
> python-2.2_1

I just (independently) discovered that python is now a dependency for
libxml2, which in turn is a dependency for libxslt.  This mysteriously
showed up at some point in the not-too-distant-past.

> scr2png-1.1
> tiff-3.5.7
>
> And this list doesn't even include all the build infrastructure you
> have to build and install along the way.  Things like imake, gmake,
> unzip, ...

imake is there for XFree86.  It's not used by anything else.

The full list of packages needed by docproj (minus jadetex and its
dependencies) is in /usr/src/release/Makefile.inc.docports.

> In other words, it would probably be WAY more effective to forget
> the on-the-fly graphics conversion stuff and simply stuff the .png
> version of our .eps files into the repository as well.  The same
> thing applies to the .scr files.

I'd be concerned about the ability for the different representations to
get out of sync.  Typically we don't commit generated versions of files
to CVS to avoid this problem as well as repo bloat.

[snip]

> Actually,
> we are still installing every docbook version that ever existed
> and linuxdoc for good measure.  Is this really neccessary?  Do
> we still have documents that use linuxdoc?  Or any docbook
> stylesheet version < 3.1?  There two english documents and a
> lot of translations that still use 3.1, but everything older
> than that should go into the bit bucket.

No argument with this.

Even forgetting the issue of on-the-fly graphics conversions, you're
proposing to remove functionality needed by some fairly mundane
operations, such as the Web site build or building *.txt files.

Cheers,

Bruce.