Date:      Sun, 01 Nov 1998 16:10:01 +0500
From:      Konstantin Chuguev <joy@urc.ac.ru>
To:        Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
Cc:        Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make installworld over NFS

Chris Shenton wrote:

> My minibox is a lowly 486sx-16 or -33 with only 5MB RAM so building
> the OS on it is out of the question. It's also at a lights-out ISP
> site so getting to it physically is difficult.
>
> Any suggestions on how to do this when the minibox is a 28.8 POTS line
> away? Would the NFS be reliable enough?

Yes mostly, but only TCP NFS. I did it many times.

> It's currently at 2.2.1-RELEASE and I'd like to bring it up to 2.2-STABLE.

I don't remember, was there AMD in 2.2.1, anyway, it didn't support
NFS over TCP before ~2.2.7.
So you have to mount filesystems manually with -o tcp.

Be careful and install the STABLE kernel first, before installing
the whole distribution (just to have both kernel versions in case
when installation is broken due to accidental line disconnect).

--
	Konstantin V. Chuguev.		System administrator of Southern
	http://www.urc.ac.ru/~joy/	Ural Regional Center of FREEnet,