Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 16:54:20 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Stry IRQs

Hi folks,

well, I noticed the following today: A few years back, I had a HP Deskjet
printer connected to a DFI-mobo based AMD K6-2 system. When I printed on
that system, I received a lot of "Stray IRQ 7" messages, IRQ 7 being the
IRQ assigned to the parallel port.

Last year, I moved the printer to a Chaintech-mobo based Athlon system. I
used the same cable to connect it and set the parallel port-related
settings on that machine the same ways as I set them on my K6-2 machine.
Still, I did not receive any more "Stray IRQ" messages on this new system.

Today, I moved my printer to an Epox-mobo based Athlon system, again with
the same cable and pp-related BIOS settings. And now, who knows why, my
stray IRQs are back!

I can say that these messages do not have any impact on computer or printer
performance, but I'm wondering why they are there on my DFI and Epox
boards, but not on my Chaintech board, even though it's the same printer
with the same cable and the same parallel port BIOS (and kernel) settings.
Any clues?

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany