Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 08:55:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Clapper <bmc@WillsCreek.COM>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        grobin@accessv.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Accessing Floppy Drive

Greg Lehey wrote:

> Normally, it's not a good idea to put file systems on floppy.

One useful, though admittedly arcane, exception case: It's often useful to
put a tripwire database on a read-only floppy.  I did that rather
frequently at my previous employer, for machines exposed to the Internet.
It works reasonably well if you're using tripwire to detect changes in
system binaries, system configuration files, and the like. The database
will be small enough to fit on a floppy-based file system, and tripwire can
be pointed directly at the database file.
-----
Brian Clapper, bmc@WillsCreek.COM, http://WWW.WillsCreek.COM/
Poor is the pupil who does not surpass his master.
        -- Leonardo da Vinci