Date:      Wed, 02 Jun 1999 17:50:25 +0200
From:      David ROBERT <david.robert@mail.dotcom.fr>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with dummynet

I use dummynet to limit ftp transferts bandwith :

# Une bp de 50kbits/s
ipfw pipe 1 config bw 50Kbit/s

# Filtrage du ftp
ipfw add pipe 1 tcp from any 20 to any
ipfw add pipe 1 udp from any 20 to any

50Kbits/s is pretty slow but I use LL at 64Kbit/s.

It works, not as good as I wish because when I look
how me file (using ftp) is tranmitted (hash fonctionnality
of any ftp client), it looks like my file is uploaded
using big blocks of data with a delay between. So even if
the file takes more time to be uploaded, my telnet session are
slow. Maybe I should use the buffer functionnality, but I don't
understand what is this functionnality.

I have another problem I've seen today because I was doing
some tests. I used the BW restiction as show before (the ipfw
commands). But when I want to test my uploads without the pipes,
I do a "ipfw flush" and after my upload is really slower, not
usable... It looks like the rules are flushed (ipfw list) but
my ftp data goes somewhere else...

Any Idea ?

David ROBERT
(sorry for my english).