Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 11:59:47 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   ./mail/mew without ./japanese/mew

I searched the freebsd-ports archive prior to posting, apologies if it's
a known problem.

The problem is this: if you use cvsup to synchronize the ports-mail
collection BUT NOT the ports-japanese collection, tryign to make clean
for the entire ports collection will break as follows -

"Makefile", line 29: Could not find
/path_to_ports/ports/mail/mew/../../japanese/mew/Makefile
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

It seems to me that mew originated within the japanese collection and
that ports/mail/mew is just a wrapper for non-Japanese people to install
conveniently.

This is not a serious problem until you want to make clean for the
entire ports collection by doing make clean from your ports/ directory.

I know how to work around this problem every time I want to clean all of
ports, but what can we do about fixing this permanently so that the
workaround isn't blatted every time the local machine synchronizes its
ports collection with, for example, cvsup?

The obvious solution is to cvsup both ports-mail and ports-japanese but
that's not much of a solution. Any other suggestions?

Regards,
Sheldon.

--
Sheldon Hearn                                   http://axl.iafrica.com/
Training Officer                                        +27-21-658-8515