Date:      06 Aug 2002 21:49:42 -0400
From:      Brian McDonald <brianmcd@columbus.rr.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: racoon and transport mode...

IKE works over UDP port 500, using it's own crypto for authentication of
the remote peer.  Once they've decided they like each other, they can
exchange a key and use the kernel interfaces to install it in the IPSEC
stack and allow ESP or AH traffic.

Brian

On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 21:27, Julian Elischer wrote:

> I am probably confused here but is it
> possible to use IKE via racoon on a tranport mode ipsec
> connection?
>

> how does racoon communicate across the transport connection
> to set the key if there is no key to start with..?
>
> (seems like a catch 22, and I certainly can't make it work here..)

Brian McDonald
CCNA(tm) Certified
Tandemedia, Inc.
http://www.tandemedia.com/