Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2000 08:10:15 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        Manfred Petz <pm@aber.warum.net>
Cc:        Alexander Gavrilov <agv@haba.uven.ru>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TIS Firewall Tookit

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 03:03:03PM +0100, Manfred Petz wrote:
> I've been using it for years and I regret it. I had to apply tons of
> patches to fix various problems with http-gw and smap (3rd party relay). A
> couple of times I even had to debug and fix problems by myself because
> either there was no patch or I couldn't find out where to get a patch.

YMMV.   This toolkit is useful, but it _is_ a toolkit -- not a
ready-to-run full-featured firewall.  The included parts are all small
and easily understood -- a huge bonus from the security point-of-view.

[snip]
> If you dont't want to or can't use SOCKS then for a proxy based firewall
> you may take a look at delegate(1). I'm using it at one site (though I
> don't have much experience with it).

Neither SOCKS nor delegate are firewall software.  The latter, in
particular, is probably one of the least secure pieces of proxy software
ever written.

--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org