Date:      Sat, 08 Jul 2000 13:03:43 -0400
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins" <hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: way to pipe latex files to printer?

Rahul Remarked,

> Richard E. Hawkins said on Jul  8, 2000 at 12:26:13:

> > It will work fine within limits.  If you see [??] or similar things in
> > your output, it is because tex needed to run more than once, which will
> > be the case if you have cross-references.

> In fact there are occasions when you need to run it three times.  But
> running it three times on every document via your script would be
> overdoing it.  And then when you're latex'ing other peoples'
> documents, you may run into problems with missing style files and so
> on. I'd stick to running latex manually.  But maybe that's just me:
> if you're mainly doing letters and such things which don't have
> cross-references, your way may make more sense.

I usually run it from within lyx, myself :)  LyX takes care of figuring
out when it no longer needs to be run.

fwiw, my dissertation was one of the three-run jobbers.

anyway, I generallyagree about doing it manually.  I still use lyx
rather than raw latex because
a) my equations tend to be on the *really* complex side, and I can't
   quite follow them in raw latex
b) LyX tends to take *a lot* less keystrokes than raw latex, which is
   my single biggest concern

hawk