Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 20:13:35 +0100 (CET)
From:      hm@kts.org (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        wam@sa.fedex.com (William McVey)
Cc:        hm@kts.org, archie@whistle.com, phk@FreeBSD.ORG, isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: If they US contingent wants ISDN4BSD...

William McVey wrote:
> >Archie Cobbs wrote:
> >> Or better yet, somebody should give him ssh access to a machine
> >> that's connected to a real ISDN line and has a Teles card in it...
> >> With $499 PC's for sale, that'd probably be cheaper :-)
>
> I believe I've made that offer.

And i appreciate it very very much.

> I'll check with some of my telco acquaintancs to see if I can get
> an equivalent ISDN emulator loaner device.  I'm not holding my
> breath.  Since I would have no use for the device after the
> development is done, I can't justify to myself (nor to my wife)
> the cost of purchasing the device mentioned to get my ISDN working
> (not when the same money can buy me more than 2 years of cable
> modem access).  This of course assumes I would have to buy the
> machine by myself...  I wouldn't be opposed to contributing to a
> pool of money to fund this device.  If a pool of money was collected
> to assist in the development of the US ISDN protocols, would that
> pool of money be better to put towards buying the ISDN emulation
> device, or towards a bounty/reward posted at the Free Software
> Bazaar* (ie a direct monetary contribution to the developer(s) who
> do the work)?

By all means, it would be much better, if someone from the US with
the support of all those from the US who want the US protocols going
into i4b would start working on it and later supporting it.

> >Having written, bootstrapped and debugged the i4b stack, i am quite
> >shure that developing a US stack remotely with such a setup makes
> >no sense at all (for me).
>
> Well, I'm definitely in no position to argue that point.

To repeat it, i appreciate your offers very much, and i don't want to
be ungrateful. Its just that i know what i went through when i did that
locally.

Really, i don't want to do that remotely. This is not to say that it
can't be done remotely and in case someone will try to do it, she/he
will get all the support from me i'm able to give (as will anyone from
the US doing that in the US).

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                hm@kts.org                   Hamburg, Europe
 We all live in a yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine, yellow subroutine ...