Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 2003 05:31:29 -0500
From:      Evermore_BSD <evermore_bsd@sympatico.ca>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Preinstall Questions?

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 20:29, Ralph F. De Witt wrote:

> Hi:
> I have two questions before I plunge in and make my first FreeBSD install.
> Normally I keep a back up copy of all my data in a ReiserFS formated partion
> on my hard drive. When I do a Linux Distribution install I will reformat the
> non back up partions and then restore my data by copying from the backup
> partion. Will I be able to do this with my FreeBSD install? Will FreeBSD be
> able to mount and read write data from this Linux Reiserfs formated partion?
> My second question is hardware related. Is the Logitech 4000 Pro USB Web
> camera supported in FreeBSD? Thanks very much for your help.
> - --
> Ralph

1. You will need to format the backup partition as Ext2, FreeBSD cannot
mount a ReiserFS partition. However it handles Ext2 (read and write)
just fine. In case you are wondering Ext3 should also work since it's
just Ext2 with a journal attached, but stick with Ext2 because you never
know.

2. Sorry, can't help you with this one. Try the HCL on the FreeBSD
website, under "Hardware Notes" for whichever release you plan on
installing.