Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:38:25 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        des@ofug.org (Dag-Erling Smorgrav)
Cc:        res03db2@gte.net (Robert Clark), tlambert@primenet.com, dot@dotat.at, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, ragnar@sysabend.org
Subject:   Re: Ideas about network interfaces.

> > My thought, is that we don't name our disk devices based
> > on the brand of the scsi controller. Why do we specify
> > an interface to talk to, based on a brand name.
>
> Because the SCSI disk driver does not know about SCSI controllers. It
> talks to CAM, and CAM passes commands to the SCSI controller, and SCSI
> controller drivers *do* have different names depending on the brand,
> so your analogy fails.

No it doesn't.  If we accept your universe, then he's just
asking for an ethernet device driver that doesn't know
about ethernet controllers.

Editting your reply, we get:

] Because the ethernet driver does not know about ethernet controllers.
] It talks to EN0, and EN0 passes commands to the ethernet controller,
] and ethernet controller drivers *do* have different names depending
] on the brand, so this makes ethernet exactly like SCSI disks, in
] that it has an abstraction that simplifies device naming.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.