Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 95 15:42:51 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        branson@dvals1.larc.nasa.gov (Branson Matheson)
Cc:        jmrueda@diatel.upm.es, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Automounting a CD-ROM

>  what you can have is a directory that they can cd into and if there is a
>  cdrom there, it will mount it.  The problem exists that you cannot change
>  the type of filesystem that is mounted with out doing some tom-foolery and
>  using the program filesystem to mount the cd. If somone has as solution to
>  this it could be very nice indeed ( might be somthing to think about
>  including in the next release. ) I have not been able to get it to work.

Privide multiple subdirectories off your main directory.

The main issue is making sure a mount is anot attempted while one
is in process.

Other than that, there's really no "BSD" cannonical way to resolve the issue.

SVR4 resolves this problem via 'fstyp'.

Basically, the mount command can determine the file system type without
it being explicitly specified on the command line.

They do the same thing for newfs (mkfs) and dump and other utilities
that know about file system layout (ff/fsck/ncheck/etc.).

One problem with implementing this is that BSD has explicit knowledge
of supported file system types by manifest constant (see mount.h).
This is actually a limitation of the BSD approach, and screws with
dynamic loading of FS types as LKMs, since the only mountable objects
must be predefined at kernel compilation time for the mount system
call.

I mean to do something about this when I get the time.  Not all ideas
are bad because of a SVR4 origin.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---