Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2018 14:49:29 +0200
From:      Toomas Soome <tsoome@me.com>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartmann@walstatt.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD CURRENT <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Fujitsu Lifebook E751 (iGPU: HM65): distorted console with UEFI boot

Note about hw.vga.textmode: this tunable has no meaning for UEFI - first =
of all, there is no API to change to VGA text mode in UEFI, secondly, =
there may or may not be VGA (firmware) at all. We only do land in kernel =
with linear framebuffer mode active and all we have is information about =
that mode (FB address, size and color bits). In *worst* case, it is =
actually even possible that we only have UEFI API for boot loader and no =
linear framebuffer for kernel.

distorted console after kernel start means that either the kernel efifb =
driver does something wrong, or the console device gfx mode change did =
happen but the FB driver was not properly informed about the fact.

rgds,
toomas

> On 28 Nov 2018, at 11:51, O. Hartmann <ohartmann@walstatt.org> wrote:
>=20
>=20
> I ran into some trouble booting off a Fujitsu Lifebook E751 (firmware =
is latest, r1.22
> from 2013). The E751 is of model series S26391-K326-V100 and equipted =
with a Core
> i5-2520M CPU and supposed to be also equipted with a iGPU HM65 =
according to the
> techniscal specifications from Fujitsu.
>=20
> Trying to boot off 12-PRERELEASE/12-RC2 and/or 13-CURRENT (most recent =
I could grap from
> the download page), the screen becomes distorted immediately after the =
kernel has
> loaded and initialised/booted. The screen is at the loader's all right =
so far.
>=20
> Trying to disable graphics mode via escaping to the loader's prompt =
and setting=20
>=20
> set hw.vga.textmode=3D1
>=20
> subsequently loading the kernel and then booting, doesn't help. The =
screen is distorted
> again. The notebook seems UEFI only and doesn't boot off from MBR =
partioned devices (i.e.
> NanoBSD I used to use).
>=20
>=20
> after manually having loaded /boot/kernel/kernel (and not booted yet) =
doesn't change
> anything either.
>=20
> Booting off and installing Linux (Ubuntu, Mint so far, most revent =
verions I can get my
> hands on) is no problem. The console works fine from the beginning and =
so the graphics.
>=20
> Is there a chance to get a FreeBSD booting the easy way?=20
>=20
> The provided boot images do not contain any of the =
graphics/drm-stable|next|legacy-kmod
> stuff, I tried to load i915kms.ko off from /boot/modules/ (were those =
modules from the
> ports are supposed to reside) but no chance.
>=20
> Before starting investigating this issue further I'd like to ask =
wether there is a
> general support provided or is that type of notebook dead matter for =
FreeBSD of the