Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 07:12:17 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
To:        Eric Ogren <eogren@earthlink.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: question regarding cd player

On 13-Dec-99 Eric Ogren wrote:

>  I'm trying to find a console-mode CD player that pipe CD audio
> through a soundcard.
>  My ATAPI CD-ROM drive doesn't have a line out on the drive
> itself, which I assume mean the audio is supposed to redirected
> through the sound card. However, when I try to use cdplay, although
> the CD-ROM busy light does go on, no sound is played.
>
>  I'm using the OSS sound drivers, and they appear to be
> working...if I cat /dev/sndstat, I see:
>
> Kernel: FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT #1: Sat Dec 11 14:27:47 EST 1999
>     root@rod.darktech.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/BLUE
> Card config:
> Generic PnP support
> OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388
> AD1816 SoundPort Controller at 0x3f0 irq 5 drq 1,0
> MPU-401 (UART) at 0x300 irq 11
> Audio devices:
> 0: Analog Devices AD1816A (AD181x) (DUPLEX)
> Synth devices:
> 0: Yamaha OPL-3
> Midi devices:
> 0: Analog Devices AD1816A
> Timers:
> 0: System clock
> Mixers:
> 0: Analog Devices AD1816A (AD181x)
>
> so, does anyone know if there's a program that can redirect cd
> audio output?

First of all, is your CD drive connected properly?  Most drives have
an audio output connector that connects to an input connector on your
soundcard.

Secondly, have you checked your mixer settings?  It could be that
your CD audio volume is set to zero by default.

What do you see when you type "mixer"?

None of the CD player apps does any particular "magic" as far as
"redirecting audio" as you're asking about.  They all depend on your
having a properly configured hardware/driver/mixer setup.

--
Conrad Sabatier
http://members.home.net/conrads/