Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 1997 14:23:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@fly.HiWAAY.net>
To:        dburr@POBoxes.com, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        <aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>, AIC7xxx@POBoxes.com, FreeBSD@POBoxes.com, Hardware@POBoxes.com, List@POBoxes.com
Subject:   Re:  AHA-2940AU (aic7860) and weird error messages on SCSI hd

Donald Burr writes:

> I just installed a SCSI disk into my machine.  It's an older Conner 540MB
> drive (CP3540), but this drive has been serving me well in another
> machine.  I have it partitioned into a ~150MB /home partition, a ~32MB
> auxiliary swap partition, and two other partitions (one ~200MB and one
> ~150MB) that are currently not in use.
>
> Anyway, after I installed and partitioned this disk, I started to get
> these error messages both on my console (in bright white letters) and in
> my syslogs.  These messages do not cause a kernel panic or something, and
> the system seems to run well despite them.  Since seeing the first message
> I've been making hourly backups of my /home partition and comparing them,
> and all the data compares OK.  Visually inspecting the files in /home
> shows no errors either.
>
> What could be going on here?  Any ideas?  I have already checked SCSI IDs
> and termination, and everything is A-OK.

[snip]

I have a 5x86/133-P75 MB which also caused troubles with an Adaptec 2940
(a very old 2940). The failures were similar, altho mine were often fatal.
The solution was to either 1) disable the external MB cache or 2) use
write-thru mode on the cache rather than write-back.

If the system would stay running, write back cache was a couple of %
faster than write-thru. Write-thru was about 10% faster than nothing.
Guess how its been running the past year?  :-)

Another system didn't like tagged queuing. You might disable that and
see how it works. My tagged queuing problem system looks like:

ahc0 <Adaptec 2940A Ultra SCSI host adapter> rev 1 int a irq 11 on pci0:15
ahc0: aic7860 Single Channel, SCSI Id=7, 3/8 SCBs
ahc0 waiting for scsi devices to settle
(ahc0:0:0): "IBM DPES-31080    !t S31K" type 0 fixed SCSI 2
sd0(ahc0:0:0): Direct-Access 1034MB (2118144 512 byte sectors)
(ahc0:3:0): "MAXTOR 7213-SCSI 0742" type 0 fixed SCSI 1
sd1(ahc0:3:0): Direct-Access 202MB (415600 512 byte sectors)

Had no problem until I partitioned the Maxtor and started using it.
Dmesg didn't indicate the kernel was going to use tagged queuing on
the Maxtor. Kernel simply paniced and rebooted. But that's another
story.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net (hm)