Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 13:27:12 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: utmp/wtmp interface

David Nugent stands accused of saying:
> >  > It's all there. What's missing?
> >
> >  Uhm, some idea of what you're heading towards.  I misread the lastlog.3
> >  manpage and misunderstood how much of it had been updated too.
>
> All that's different is a standardised API. In fact, this goes for
> all of the modules. Nothing has (yet) changed about any of the
> file formats - which a "suggested" alternate implementation for

Argh.  Yes, I missed the #ifdef's.  *blush*

> What I am attempting to do is to define an API to access these
> files, not radically change the format of the files overnight.

Ok, going back to this.  With the xutmpinfo struct; is the plan to
only support one, or a colocated array of several terminated with one
with xi_type set to XUT_NONE?

[file format changes]
> definitely require a change in format. Personally, I prever a
> text-based format with extensions in keyword=data style or
> something similar. You can deal with that in any language
> - even /bin/sh - with very little loss in performance.

Actually, I would have suggested a textual format, but I thought that
the screams would be audible from here.  If you think it's a goer, you
have my absolute support.

> The idea is not to change the format of the files immediately,
> but to first define an API to access them so that it allows

Understood.

> Absolutely it is, and the penalty is paid by the non-threaded
> version, and it makes the code more complex then it need be in
> any case. The point is whether there is any benefit in making it
> thread-safe. :-)

Good question.  Maybe save worrying about that until it needs to be?