Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:54:51 -0000
From:      "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
To:        "John Kozubik" <john@kozubik.com>, "Tom Evans" <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Kozubik" <john@kozubik.com>

> It's amazing how many people are in the exact same boats - waiting for
> 8.3, getting locked out of new motherboards because em(4) can't be
> "backported" to even the production release...

This is not true, only last week did we take the version of e1000 from
HEAD into our 8.2-RELEASE tree as a patch. It wasnt totally trivial but
it also wasnt difficult either. But it would still be preferable for
many not to have to do this I assume?

This import brings the number of number release patches we manually apply
to our machines above 8.2-RELEASE to 18 which includes:-
updated areca driver, boot time fixes (disable memtest), devfs startup fix
ixgbe & e100 drivers, libz assembly crash fix, mps driver import, rc.subr
fix for scripts, increased max swap size, tcp reassembly fix, udp6 fix
for java, cam timeout fixes, zfs overflow fix, zfs slice boot delay,
camcontrol security options for ssds and jail uref panic fix.

I'm sure there are more that others would include but these changes are
important enough to our environment to prompt their inclusion in what
is effectively our own stream of 8.2-RELEASE.

Now I know the factastic work commiters do in bring us FreeBSD so
I can't bring myself to critisise in anyway the work they do. But its
defintiely interesting to see others are in the same boat as us looking
for something thats a bit more predicable than the current large change
releases.

I wonder if there is something that could be created to make maintaining
micro branches easier. I know mfsbsd has made our lives so much simpler
since we discovered it allowing us to take a standard source build on
one machine and roll an install cd customised to our requirements in
minutes.

What other undiscovered gems are our out there?

    Regards
    Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster@multiplay.co.uk.